These are from the syllabus of Dr. Aaron Pincus' Penn State seminar, Madness in the First Person (Fall 2009):
1. An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness, Kay Redfield Jamison. Bipolar disorder (manic-depressive illness).
2. Drinking: A Love Story, Caroline Knapp. Alcoholism.
3. Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia, Marya Hornbacher. Eating disorders.
4. First Person Plural: My Life as a Multiple, Cameron West. Dissociative Identity Disorder.
5. The Quiet Room: A Journey out of the Torment of Madness, Lori Schiller & Amanda Bennett. Schizophrenia.
6. Students in the seminar also read Am I Okay?: A Layman's Guide to the Psychiatrist's Bible by Allan Frances and Michael First.
I've only read the first book on the list, but I would gladly read any of these over any weekend.